I think we can all agree that we have all experienced being stuck in a rut- and it’s not pleasant! Throughout the years I have implemented a few things that have helped make those times a bit easier. Here are the top 9 things that help me through those times!
1. Take breaks as needed ✨ walk around your building at work or around your house if you work from home. I’m a believer that sunlight and nature have a huge impact on your mood. Let’s take advantage of it and step outside for a bit. If your workload doesn’t allow for a walk, try standing up, stretching and taking a moment to just breath.
2. Journal 🖊 this will allow you to find the underlying issue that may have gotten you into that rut in the first place. Writing down your thoughts and feelings can be amazingly revealing. If that doesn’t help, maybe try jotting down the last time you felt joy or make a list of things that bring you happiness.
3. Lean on your tribe ♥️ family and/or friends can be the best healers. Talk to someone you trust and they might be able to give you insightful feedback- if that’s what you need. If you only need someone to listen, let them know. Sometimes people assume you are looking for feedback when you only need someone to listen.
4. Leave perfection aside and remember your WHY! 🌻 go back to your goals, why you do the things you do and what type of life you want to be living. Don’t focus on the end result but rather on enjoying the journey and celebrating small wins. For example, I used to focus on getting abs. After a month of consistent workouts and eating clean- no abs. I would then get discouraged and quit, which would then result in falling into a rut and not workout for months! Now, I focus on how great I feel every single time I workout and how EVERY SINGLE workout is benefiting my health even if I don’t have an instant physical result to prove it. This could be applied to any goal-personal, career, relationship-you name it!
5. Read and/or listen to motivational content 🌱Be aware of what you are feeding your mind. If you are listening, reading, watching negative content, most likely, you’ll end up having a negative attitude. Start reading a book that inspires you or listen to a podcast from one of your favorite speakers. Even watching a show or movie on Netflix that will make you laugh can help. Laughter is the best medicine!
6. Exercise! 💃🏻 You will never regret a workout! Find a fun way to move your body. If you like hiking, go on a hike! If you love dancing (like I do 😉) take a dance class. If you enjoy lifting weights, go lift some weights girl! And if you haven’t found something that you truly take delight in- try more things. I am positive you will eventually find something that sparks a light in you!
7. Take a trip ✈️ 🚗 depending on your time and budget, decide if you can go on a long vacation or weekend getaway. Even a staycation can be helpful! Take this time to turn off all notifications and disconnect. Traveling could be immensely healing and a way to refuel and connect back to yourself!
8. Take a nap! 💤 sleep deprivation is a real thing! Lack of sleep can negatively impact your wellbeing. Get your Zs in!
9. Lastly, be graceful with yourself! Do the best that you can by listening to your body, soul and mind- then honor its needs ✨ and remember that whatever you are currently feeling is temporary- it will pass.
What helpful tips do you have to get out of a rut?